tips on studying for the mildly stressed out uni student || lifestyle

Between the university libraries being half-filled on a Sunday to the tired students shuffling to and from class it is painfully obvious that exams and major assignments are hurtling our way and our calendars are getting closer and closer to that sweet, sweet holiday time. Which is why I bring you my own studying tips for when you want to drop out of university or high school.

1. drink plenty of water.
What a shock, I'm going with the same frame of self-care tips that I used last time. Take it from someone who gets migraines roughly once a fortnight (and has to wear glasses on top of that) drink ya damn water. I couldn't get into the science behind it (it's why I study journalism) but what I do know is that it makes you feel 10,000 times better staring at a computer/textbook/messy scrawled notes if you have some water to hydrate yourself.

2. sleep.
do not show up to your lecture/exam/tutorial with less than five hours of sleep. You will be the nightmare student that sits in the back and accomplishes nothing because you're roughly five seconds away from collapsing from exhaustion. Even if you can only get five hours it's better than nothing and makes you feel even a little more like a functioning adult.

3. stretch.
Get up once every two or so hours and let your muscles move. Most uni students have terrible posture - we millennials are literally the generation of technology and bad posture. Just move around every little while, make sure your feet know your alive. As I write this I'm tapping one foot up and down (probably annoying the girl in the cubicle beside me) and rolling my shoulders to get rid of at least some of the kinks in them (it feels good, don't it?).

4. take regular breaks.
I can't afford to, I hear you screaming. That's a lie. You can afford to. You're more productive if you work for an hour and then rest for five/ten minutes. So long as you know you have to continue working after your break is up there isn't a problem.

5. reward yourself.
Much like the "treat yo' self" mentality that has most uni students reaching for their wallets and realising they've spent all of their money on clothes/video games/alcohol the reward yourself thing deals with positive reinforcement. So break up what you're doing and manage it through small chunks, then give yourself a treat. Whether that's a hot beverage that you don't get often, a piece of chocolate, a well deserved episode of a TV show you really want to finish it doesn't matter. So long as you positively reinforce yourself once you've done a fair amount of work.

6. take an afternoon to organise your study space.
If you are anything like me you love buying cute stationery but never actually use it. Spend an afternoon setting up a little nook where you can study and make sure the nook isn't in your bedroom! Make it a little cute with a candle that you can burn every time you study and things that calm you down. I store my textbooks in a bookcase away from my study area, so not only do I get to get up and stretch every time I need a textbook they also don't stress me out by looking at how much more I need to read before the end of semester.

I hope these tips help you out even a little before exams well and truly nail us down for the last bit of this semester.



Comments

Popular Posts