self care for uni students || lifestyle

So it's almost mid-semester (how the heck did that happen?) and I can already see some very stressed out students hanging around campus. So I thought that I would come here today and talk about self care for students. I asked around the Olympus team to see what their idea of self care was and I thought I'd share all of our ideas here for you.


stop and smell the roses (or enjoy the sunsets)

1. take up a hobby.
I write, read and do yoga in my spare time to destress - all of these which I have not been making time for recently and have, coincidentally, found myself more stressed. Take up a hobby that calms you, whether it's colouring, crafting or even Kombucha brewing there is something for absolutely everyone out there.

2. go to bed at a reasonable hour and try to aim for at least six/seven hours sleep.
You know those ads about 'you aren't you when you're hungry?' - Same goes for when you're sleep deprived and living off that morning sludge of coffee that you took a quick sniff of before you ran from the house with headphones blasting something you classify as "wake up music" and running towards the bus (yes it's an awfully specific description, no you are not allowed to judge me). Aim for at least seven hours of sleep each night, settle for six if you must.

your setup doesn't have to look anything like this.

3. start writing in a journal.
If you think that expressing your emotions in written form is going to help you catalogue your emotions then go buy a super cute notebook from Typo or Kikki K, and go and live your best life. Write your absolutely most insignificant thoughts and then everything else in between. You don't have to feel guilty if you forget to do it either, because it's a semi-project that's for your eyes only.

4. exercise.
Yes, I know, exercising can sometimes make you feel even worse than you already do but fear not there is a way around this. Exercise because you want to, not because you have to. I vowed at the start of the year that I would join a gym and go every single day, do you know what I haven't done yet this year? Exactly, I have not at all joined a gym. Let yourself choose what you want to do and go with the flow of your life; if you have time for a quick run around the block then do it, or take your dog/cat/bird/fish/human friend for a walk.

5. stop and smell the roses.
I am aware this probably one of the most cliche things I could say but it doesn't have to be. My equivalent of smelling the roses is making sure I see at least one sunrise or sunset a week. (usually I get the former because I'm just blessed to have a job that makes me wake up at 6am every sunday - sarcasm intended). Find something that is your own "stopping to smell the roses", and you'll be surprised how calm you feel when you've finally done it.


Comments

Popular Posts